As you can see by my edited 'Books I've Been Reading' list, I've been reading a lot on this holiday. I'm never very good at giving book reviews, but there are certainly a few on the list I'd recommend.
The first book I really enjoyed was Sarah's Key. I have a strange obsession with books about the holocaust - I enjoy historical fiction and find the topic sad and intriguing at the same time. This book kept my attention throughout. As you can imagine it's not a happy read, some parts of it could reduce anyone to tears, but it was one of those books I couldn't put down and was sad to finish.
The Book of Negroes was another great, can't-put-it-down book. Another historical fiction, it's about a woman's slave journey from Africa and around the world starting in the late 18th century. I can tell you I was pretty ignorant of this time in history so it was fascinating to read about. There are many incredibly sad and terrible moments in this book but the character the author creates is incredible.
For a little more cheer, I picked up The Happiness Project. It's a sort of self-help book for generally happy people who are looking to become just that little bit happier. The author takes us along, month to month, on her year-long happiness journey which she planned at the start of the year. Among many other things, she does things like de-cluttering her home, starting a book club, making three new friends. It's inspired me to start my own little happiness project when I get home. A great book if you need a little lift in life.
I'm currently reading In a Sunburned Country by Bill Bryson. This book is hi-la-ri-ous! I love Bryson's style of writing, he's a fantastically funny writer who continually pokes fun at himself and everyone and everything around him. If you haven't visited Australia this is a great introduction to the goings-on there - a "fact-filled adventure" as it's explained. It's full of interesting Aussie tidbits and I can guarantee you'll find yourself laughing out loud.

2 comments:
I loved Sarah's Key too. The movie does not live up to the book so don't bother. :)
As for the others - they sound interesting. I'm going to see if our library has them.
Thanks for sharing!
Hi Rabbit, I'm trying to create an account.
Post a Comment