
One Murray River Marathon - check! One feature in the local paper - check (mail to come to a few of you!)!
Our team, The Murray Marshmallows, consisting of B & I and our 11 other comrades completed the 404kms of paddling New Years Day. Yay us! For the YMCAs official report click here.
It was a hard six days for us all. For me, it was the heat and the flies that hurt the most. In the end I paddled a total of 50 kms, having two legs with B and one with another teammate, Erin.
My and B's first 17 km leg on Day 2 was a bit wobbly due to B's balance and my tired shoulders, but by Day 3 B and I were smooth sailing! We finished our 2nd paddle, the 18 km leg in 1 hour and 30 minutes.
My last 15 km leg with Erin was the hardest of them all. Together we paddled through most of it with a headwind and at about 8 kms, fell in. After a few minutes of gathering our soaked belongings, dragging the kayak to the bank, dumping the water from the boat and plunking ourselves back in, we were off again for another 7 kms into the wind.
Camping in the middle of a hot football ground and the job of 'ground crew' was the hardest of all. Being a part of ground crew consisted of: awaiting the paddlers for and hour or two, squatting, sitting or standing in 35-40 degree unshaded heat, trying to avoid being bitten by bull ants, wading in the river to help the paddlers change-over, the occasional swim (nice!) and having to constantly swat fifteen flies away from your ears, eyes, nose and mouth (have you ever had a fly up your nose?). Awful. Awful enough that I will never accept a camping invite in Australia again, ever. Seriously.
All in all I DID enjoy the whole experience, most notably being privileged to paddle a morning on the Barma Choke with B and making a few new friends.
B and I do plan to keep paddling so there may be a few new adventures on the horizon. Yukon River Quest, here we come!!
1 comment:
Pretty impressive! I must say.
Post a Comment