My mum and I are back from Phillip Island! We packed a few things in to our overnight stay. Our first stop was the Koala Conservation Centre. We were able to see a number of koalas up close hiding in their eucalyptus trees and while we were there a young koala decided to climb off of his tree branch and make his way along the boardwalk railing. He was VERY cute and of course the group of people there all gathered around to watch. A few people disobeyed the park rules and touched the little guy after which an angry French tourist gave them an earful. I agreed they shouldn't have touched the koala but the man was pretty rude about it; serves them right for breaking the rules I suppose!

Our next stop was Seal Rock and The Nobbies on the west coast of the island. Quite a few seals were sunbathing (though it was hard to see) and the coastline was very scenic. I'll post a few pics so you can see what I'm talking about. We walked around for an hour or so, took some photos and then made our way to The Penguin Parade.

We arrived at the Parade early in time to get a seat and ahead of a few bus loads of people. I don't know why some of these people even came as once the penguins started emerging from the ocean they left, blocking our view which frustrated everyone. We stayed until late and watched a hundred or more fairy penguins scuttle their way across the beach from the water to the grass (pictures NOT allowed). My mum and I had to share her glasses as I couldn't see a thing! On our way back to the Penguin Centre you could still see the penguins up close, waddling up the grass and disappearing into their burrows. It was all just way to cute!Today we visited Churchill Island - a heritage farm that was built in the 1800's. We arrived before the crowds and had a peaceful meander through the old house and gardens. There were baa'ing sheep, geese, horses and cows whom we saw get milked the old-fashioned way. Some people even drank the milk....gag, no thanks!


It turned out to be a fabulous weekend and only two hours away from the city!
1 comment:
Those French people - I tell ya ;) Looks like you had a great time.
Post a Comment