Movies I Rented this Weekend

- The Last Kiss. I liked this movie (in a cheesy, chick-flick way) though I found the storyline was weak and the main characters, mainly Rachel Bison and Zach Braff, were morons. I thought Bison was somewhat respectable, though a bit over-the-top flirtatious, in the beginning, and in the end she turned out to be another stupid, naive, college girl making mixed tapes for a guy she's been out with twice. Pathetic. Braff on the other hand wasn't very convincing as a 'confused, trapped' boyfriend; his girlfriend was cool and he didn't have to cheat on her. I found it really frustrating when he went over to Bisons apartment and was literally covering my eyes saying 'no! no! . He sucked in this movie; rent Garden State instead.
- The Departed. I'm always up for a good mob story but I thought this one sucked. I don't think it even compares to classics like Casino, Goodfellas and The Godfather and I just couldn't buy Jack Nicholson as a underground gangster (though everyone in the movie did!). At the end I thought to myself, how on earth did this win best picture, especially seeing that the main characters were Matt Damon and Leonardo DiCaprio; then it came to me (literally, on screen) - Martin Scorsese. Aha! Apparently he didn't win an Oscar the year before so in desperation they handed it to him last year. We can see right through you Hollywood!
- Grizzly Man - In July, D was on a serious mission to watch everything by the German filmmaker Werner Herzog so both of us had a chuckle when we unexpectedly discovered this film was made by him. In his previous films I thought about a half hour of them could have been edited out, which goes the same for this movie, but regardless it was entertaining. Grizzly Man was crazy, lonely and pretty strange but you can't help but like the guy. I was expecting to see or hear part of his death video but I'm glad it wasn't a part of the film. It sounded like a horrible death, as being eaten by a bear would be, and the caption 'an hour before his death' written under him as he was filming himself on video was eerie enough. It's worth seeing just to watch the grizzlies and other wildlife (the foxes were cute!) and you have to give the guy credit for surviving thirteen years out there beside them!
2 comments:
A yes...the looney grizzly man. A text book of mental illness. There should be a whole college course dedicated to all he exhibits.
Last Kiss was a disappointment. I totally agree. You just want to smack him.
The Departed - I didn't mind it. I went into it thinking it was going to be very Hollywood, and to not take it for any great work of art, but as a very hollywood-esque film. So I liked it. Babel should have beat it though. It was better.
I liked Babel too though I missed the ending and I have to rent it again.
Post a Comment