
This last Friday a friend of mine organized a girls night out at her place. She made a roasted veggie lasagna and salad and we all sat around chatting and drinking wine. It was great and got me thinking, why don't I do this more often?
I pondered that question this weekend and figured out why I don't do 'this' more often; it's because Melbourne is HUGE.
In Melbourne everyone lives in the outskirts of the city. If you don't have a car it takes you at least an hour to cross by tram, train or bus, and if you DO have a car it still takes a half hour to drive it. So, it would be like driving, or busing from Abbotsford to Surrey or Vancouver for a night out, or alternatively, having to pay $50 for a cab home. It makes sense why I, aside from Friday, haven't left the 'north end' in months.
In Melbourne making plans with a group of friends always takes some effort. Getting together during the week, unless it's in the city straight after work, is too much of a hassle to bother with, so this leaves most of us with two days on the weekend. Now, try finding five people with no plans this Saturday. Impossible. How about next Saturday? Can't do it. Three weeks? Nope. Four? Okay, see you then.
Since being home I've realized how much I took it for granted that I could see most of my friends and family within the hour if I wanted to. We didn't plan nights out three weeks in advance because no one could make it before that. Sushi? Simple. The beach? Done! Wine at K's? I'm there!
I suppose I shouldn't complain to much. I'm also quite happy to travel to the couch, cuddle up with D and watch a DVD. I just wish this city could shrink a bit sometimes.
1 comment:
what will the planning be like when people start having babies? Chaos...you will need to book Christmas parties now!
Post a Comment