Sunday, March 16, 2008

Perth Peeps

Okay, I lied, D has introduced me to a few very nice Perth natives since we arrived.

A few weeks ago I met D's young and very sweet artist friend Emma and her hilarious and quirky hippy mum Jaye who live around the corner from us in Subi. Jaye was a former Miss World and married a French historian who likes to buy trinkets on Ebay. They are both very warm and hospitable people who I imagine we'll be seeing a lot of.

Last week we had a drink with another very sociable friend of D's named Clare. She works at the university and has a music degree and will soon be studying medicine (sound familiar KM??:). She was cool and seems like a great person to know.

We've caught up with D's friends Paul & his wife Steph a few times this week. Paul is studying Arts at the uni and Steph is an architect. They cooked up a fabulous stir-fry for us on Wednesday and Friday night we ordered in pizza and played with their bull terrier Mleko. I am a bit infatuated with this dog (maybe because we had two when I was little) - he's about 6 months old, white, and has a roman nose and looks like a big mouse. He's very rambunctious to say the least but has a lot of personality and is tons of fun to play with.

Today we visited D's lovely friend Teresa who is in her mid-80's and finished a Phd a few years ago. She has eight children and her ex-husband lives next door. She recently heard something on the radio about German Mennonites and mentioned it to us which was a bit of a coincidence! She was very sweet and interesting and I hope to visit with her again very soon.

No comments: