Wednesday, February 6, 2013

The Book Club

I've now been to my second book club meeting in the town of F.  There were probably about eight ladies who arrived for dinner and discussion this time around.  It's great to get out for a social chat and dinner, I enjoyed it once again.

The book of the month was Daughters of Mars by an Australian author, Tom Keneally.  I didn't really like the book, the story was about two country Australian girls who head off to WWI to nurse.  The content itself was interesting but the author, I thought, made it come across very dull as his style of writing is very emotionless and matter-of-fact.

I am always curious as to what the others opinions will be leading up to the discussion night, that maybe I'll be the only one who didn't like the book, but this time I was in the majority.  Most of the ladies disliked the writing, and the ending, as I did.  It had two endings and after reading 587 pages, it would have been nice to feel like you finished the story.  We were mostly left disenchanted.

Our next book is The Cat's Table by Michael Ondaatje.  I've started it and am enjoying it so far.  It's also much shorter which I'm happy about.

Our next book meeting is at the end of February.  I'll most likely miss the March date as baby 3 is due, but hopefully I'll make it to a few more meetings this year.  I'll be reading the books regardless.

No comments: