Thursday, February 7, 2013

Critters of the Month

This month at WP features a few critters, some new, some old.

For one, I have an infestation of some strange, small and harmless, beetle - about the size of a tick -  that likes to gather in the corner of my bedroom, under windows and in the ensuite. I don't know what it is but I'm having to vacuum them up every other day.  They're not too icky, but they're causing me to have to do another chore which I don't appreciate.

Feature creature of the month number two is the March Fly.  They buzz around outside and if you stay still for more than 30 seconds they land on you and bite.  Think horse fly.  They're big, slow, easy to kill but they're bite hurts.  I just spent 10 minutes outside hanging up the washing and was bitten three times.  And did I mention their bite is itchy?  I can tell you it makes going outdoors very un-pleasurable, which isn't really fair considering it's summer time and we have a lovely beach just a short walk away.  They hang out there too.

Creature number three, the OTHER fly. This fly is much smaller than the March Fly, it doesn't bite but it's more annoying in that they continually buzz around your face, up your nose, in your mouth, ears, they literally bounce off your face. They're quick too, and hard to squash and they make a very loud buzzing noise which is especially irritating when they're in your bedroom at night.  If you don't shut your door within 30 seconds of opening it, they're in the house.  I try very hard to keep my house fly free - I hate flies with a passion.

Creature number four is the Skink.  I don't mind him so much.  He's sort of a cute little lizard (see photo), maybe about 6" long.  They skitter outside, under rocks, garbage cans and things sitting around the house.  What I don't like quite as much is when they skitter past your feet in the kitchen.  Or sit behind your couch.  They're hard to catch, their tales drop off like geckos, so you really have to let them be and hope they stay out.

And finally, creature number five, the dreaded Huntsman Spider.  If I know where they are, say, if I see them from a distance and can kill them with bug spray, I don't mind them SO much.  It's when they pop up in front of you when you're least expecting them (though summer I'm constantly on my toes, because I sort of AM expecting them in and under everything.  It's not a comfortable way to live).  For this spider, it's like it's their mission in life to scare the bejesus out of you.  They're on the front of the cupboard door you just closed, in the cupboard you just opened, they drop out of your laundry or hang out behind your toilet paper roll.  They're harmless critters, and they kill flies which I appreciate, they're just ugly, big and creepy.

So, another Summer season will soon be gone, along with a few of it's critters.  Soon Autumn will arrive.  So will the millipedes.


1 comment:

villagegirl said...

You are a brave soul. I'm sure if it was me, there would be a whole lot of screaming involved! Especially with the spiders. *shiver*