Friday, June 4, 2010

The Snooker Grand Finals


I played my snooker league B division grand final on Tuesday night.  My opponent was Dean, a good snooker player, about my age, and a professional golfer and golf teacher from England.   

The finals format was 'best of 9' or 'race to 5' so unless one of us won 5-0, I knew I was in for a long evening.  B entertained himself on the sidelines playing a few games of his own while he watched my match.

We started out on even ground winning one game each.  I then proceeded to win the next three, making it 4-1.  Instilled with confidence, I figured I only had only one more game to go, but that wasn't quite the case.

Dean won the next game which in the end was determined by whomever made the black ball.  4-2.  In the next couple of games I had two decent breaks making 33 points in one run and 37 points in another.  Whatsoever, in the end both games came down to the black, and though I had the first shot at each, I missed them both.  4-4.

Our final match wasn't as quite as stressful.  I got ahead in points early, Dean conceded the match and I finished winning 63-18.  Our match started at 7pm and ended at 11:30pm which should tell you it was a true snooker marathon.

My first initial and last name will forever be on the wooden plaque at Masters Billiards with an asterisk beside it to let people know I'm a lady!

2 comments:

Lee said...

BRAVO! Very proud of you. If I was there I would take you out for a drink.

westenddoc said...

Congratulations, Kat! Well done!