Thursday, June 21, 2007

Pool Down Under


For the last few seasons I have been playing in a local pool league. My team is in first place this winter and until this week we hadn't lost a match.

Pool in Australia is very different from the game I play at home. Here, a foul gives your opponent TWO shots (anywhere, any direction, behind the line) and 'strategy' is to block pockets as sinking of your ball by your opponent is a foul (and two shots!).

The slow nature of the snooker-style 8-ball here is not what I'm used to. I can feel the anxiety oozing from my teammates whenever I pass up a snooker to play a run out.

The overly-competitive nature of the league I also find bewildering. Losing is punishable by numerous sets of eyes rolling to the ceiling, hums and sighs from the sidelines and 'helpful advice' after the game. Here, we do not play for money, prizes, big tournament entries or trips; we play for pride. Yes, that's right, pride. I don't get it either.

I've come to the conclusion that winning is what keeps me in this league. Conquering the Australian male in their own game of pool is too enjoyable to pass up.

Rack 'em up boys!

1 comment:

Lee said...

Ah...that's my girl! Put those boys in their place!!!!