Sunday, October 24, 2010

Food Inc

I watched the movie Food Inc not once, but twice this weekend and I think you all should too.  It's all about capitalism in the American food system and it's frightening.

B & I have already started making an effort to buy organic food and I've cut back on eating meat significantly, but now we're going to get serious. 

I think it's important to know where our food comes from and what we're putting in our bodies.  Food is a business.  Farmers grow chickens faster and larger than ever before even if their bodies can't keep up, McDonalds is cheaper that vegetables, cows are fed corn instead of grass as they naturally should be and companies producing tainted products killing people aren't shut down.  Why?  To make more money faster.  What happened to quality? 

It's atrocious what is going on in this day and age and I want to know what's in my food.  I know my local organic farmer will tell me, but these corporations won't.  I can vote against it by buying food at my local farmers markets which we plan to do weekly.

Did you know companies are now packaging meat from cloned animals?  They also say one hamburger paddy can contain meat from up to 1000 different cows.  E. coli?  No thanks.

1 comment:

villagegirl said...

It's very scary how so much of the food industry is not about food at all but about the almight dollar.
It's disgusting. Once you know some of the things that go on, it's pretty hard to go back to the 'regular' way of thinking. It's just such a shame that eating healthfully can be such a costly venture. Fresh fruit and veggies aren't bad but anything beyond that they seem to think they can charge an arm and a leg for it. It depends where our value lies, in our health and wellbeing or in our wallets.
Oh boy! I didn't mean to preach a sermon! I haven't watched that movie, but I would like to. The more people that go against it, the bigger impact there'll be!