September 7th, 2010 I officially became an Australian citizen. My ceremony was held at my local town hall, led by Mayor O'Connor, the Deputy Mayor and other official guests. Ben and my good friend Bree accompanied me.
Around one hundred people were sworn in, representing 33 different countries. We were all given an official Australian welcome by an Aboriginal elder playing his didgeridoo, a few speeches were made, and then we took our pledge:
From this time forward,
I pledge my loyalty to Australia and its people,
whose democratic beliefs I share,
whose rights and liberties I respect, and
whose laws I will uphold and obey.
One by one we were all called up to receive our cerfificate and an indiginous plant. I couldn't help but feel sorry for the woman trying to pronounce some very diffcult names, seeing as it's such an important day for everyone you wouldn't want to get them wrong - she did as good a job as anyone could have!
So, I now have a second national anthem to learn!
Australians all let us rejoice
For we are young and free
We've golden soil and wealth for toil
Our home is girt by sea
Our land abounds in nature's gifts
Of beauty rich and rare
In History's page, let every stage
Advance Australia Fair.
In joyful strains then let us sing
Advance Australia Fair.

1 comment:
congrats! Just don't forget the words to Oh Canada ;)
Post a Comment