Saturday, April 10, 2010

Pool Update

My 8-ball league started two weeks ago and we've lost two out of two nights thus far. My team is called 'Grand Masters Flash' and my captain is coincidentally, a fellow Canadian.  Last week we played the number one team and lost 22-10.  I can't say we gave them much of a challenge but it was fun nonetheless.  I don't have any scores to boast about yet, so we'll just leave this one alone for now...

I had a match-up last night with a girl who wanted to play me some 8-ball after meeting me a month ago.  She talks the big talk - it sounds like she knows a lot of players and she's played a few state competitions and so on.  We had two races and I beat her 7-1 and 5-3. She came up with a few excuses as to why she was playing badly, but I think I just played much better than she did :)  She looked a little bit like the photo above after the match (oooh, ouch!). 

I have been playing in a snooker league for the last month or so and I can tell you, after playing on 8' tables for so long, snooker is hard.  I'm not really enjoying this league as I don't like playing bad pool.  Potting a ball in a pocket twelve feet away isn't easy.  Snooker is certainly pools 'gentlemens game' though, everyone I've played so far has been incredibly polite and sportsmanlike.  I'll continue to slog through, maybe my 8-ball game will improve because of it.  

No comments: