Friday, October 30, 2009

One-handed


My kayaking excursion last Saturday has caused me a lot of grief this week. As the pain in my wrist kept getting worse, I saw a sports physio doctor yesterday. He tells me the tendons in my (left) wrist are swollen and I have fluid in my fingers keeping me from bending them. I'm now wearing a brace and on anti-inflammatorys and extra strength Paracetamol with Codeine.

I never thought that my left hand was much use to me, but oh, how wrong I was!

Things I've discovered that are very hard to do one-handed (try it!):
  1. Get dressed
  2. Squeeze toothpaste onto your toothbrush
  3. Wash your face
  4. Wash your hair
  5. Cut food
  6. Cook
  7. Fold clothes
  8. Draft/Type
Due to #8 I am off work today. I am under instructions to rest, ice my wrist and relax which I will certainly be doing. I have to wear my brace for a week and won't be kayaking for at least 2-3 weeks, if at all. My marathon days might be over before they've begun!

1 comment:

Heather said...

OMG! That is so crazy. I hope your hand/wrist feels better soon!