
I had my visa medical yesterday and I think it has left a permanent stain of ick on me. I can't imagine being one of those doctors shuffling hundreds of immigrants through different rooms all day.
First was the queue to the receptionist who's job it was to make sure my forms were filled out correctly. Papers were signed, my photo was taken and I was directed to the waiting area (which I was to become very familiar with over the next two hours).
Having my name called was like winning the lottery but without the happy ending. I was directed to a toilet and instructed to pee in the paper cup and open the little sliding door once I was done. After opening the door a creepy hand poked out and took the sample. Ew. Next, the second waiting room....
After a while I was called into another area to be weighed, measured and to test my eyesight (with glasses). I passed with flying colours (if there is such a thing). Back to the waiting room...
As I was waiting for my name to be called once again, a poor Indian man who had just had his blood taken passed out in the corridor; luckily the doctors were there to catch him. Every ones eyes in the waiting room seemed to say 'oh god'....this isn't something you want to see when it's your turn next.
Finally, my name. I was led by another doctor into the blood sample room and, to my astonishment, had to step over the poor Indians head (we both apologised). Thankfully, all went well with the blood test and I was led back to the ol' waiting room.
A 3rd doctor called me next and led me into his office. He was old, had bad teeth and gave me the creeps. He asked me about Vancouver, my work, made me touch my toes, balance on one foot and after seeing my tattoo asked about it, three times. I don't know if it was curiosity of if he was concerned I had hepatitis - who knows, but it was odd. Let's just say I was glad to get out of there!
The chest x-ray was next. Now, I was 99% sure I didn't have tuberculosis the first time I had the x-ray three years ago. Eighteen months ago (my 2nd x-ray) there was no question that I had contracted the disease (having not left Australia). This time around I had another question - how many x-rays does it take to give someone cancer??
I may have come to this country healthy but I may not be leaving that way. Thanks Health Services Australia!!
1 comment:
sounds like an awesome way to spend the day...what a treat!
Post a Comment