Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Backyard Pets


Our chickens are driving me a little bit crazy.  I still like having Betty and June around, but they poo everywhere.

Our back play area has become a chicken toilet which I'm having to clean up every day.  They poo in the twins cubby house, on and under our bench seats, on our outdoor table and all over the concrete in the back.  They're not laying eggs yet so we're not really reaping any rewards from having them.  They also like to scratch and dig up my garden; they ate my red pepper plants which were almost ripe.

Lately, as punishment, I've been keeping them in their pen for most of the day and I let them out for four hours in the evening.  That way I only have to clean up four hours of poo the next day.  Our next backyard job is to construct a fence to keep them penned in.  Otherwise they might get their heads chopped off.

We lost another budgie the other day too, the pretty blue one.  It pulled a 'Shawshank Redemption' and disappeared out of its cage.  One day it was there, the next it was gone.  There must be a little hole it flew out of - either that or something came in and ate it. Hopefully Budgie Blue lives a long happy life on the outside, but I doubt it.

My worm farm has also been resurrected.  During the heat wave, my worms died a slow and painful death - I found a few burnt to a blackened crisp on the top and the rest must have just melted into the soil.  I found no trace of the thousand or so worms I had in there.  So, I bought another 500 worms and seeing as there isn't another 40 degree day in sight, they should be just fine.

1 comment:

Lee said...

animal carnage and mayhem in your yard!