Living out in the bush has it's ups and downs. It's lovely to be surrounded by the native flora and fauna and to have to ocean just around the corner, but it's not so lovely to keep discovering creatures of all sorts in your house.
Rumor has it March is when we'll be infested by millipedes. These are disgusting little black worm-like bugs that I find crawling across my bedroom floor. If you squish them they omit a foul smelling odor so instead I've been picking them up and tossing them in the toilet. In March they come in hoards, needing to be swept or vacuumed up twice a day. That's right, TWICE a day.
Spiders. I've already told you a few of my spidey-stories and I found another one on my bedroom wall last night. These aren't small spiders, they're large and I think what scares me the most is you never know where they'll be hiding. It's disconcerting to find them near your bed, or lurking about on your wall at night. I have no idea what I'm sleeping next to.
Just as I was crawling into bed the other day, a mouse ran in and out of my bedroom. Ugh. Nanny S and I rediscovered it yesterday. It was sort of cute, and I thought, maybe the mouse will eat the spiders, but B was concerned the snakes will find the mouse, so, the mouse had to go (unharmed!).
Snakes. I have yet to find one. Thank goodness. I'm hoping they haven't found the mouse.
Lizards. We've so far had two living under our dishwasher. I don't mind lizards, and I thought, maybe they'll eat the millipedes? But no. It's also a little scary running into one on your kitchen floor when you least expect it. So, they had to go too. Nanny S was able to catch them and take them back outside where they belong. Where they ALL belong.

2 comments:
I don't think I'd be able to handle the millipedes. You are one brave woman with your menagerie! :)
well there goes any twinkle I had of being brave enough to visit you. I would have to sleep with a pair of panty hose on my head like a character I saw on tv...to keep the spiders out of my ears, nose and mouth.
Post a Comment