Sunday, July 10, 2011

Canada

I had a wonderful time at home.  As always it was good to visit with my family and friends, though the time I have always seems too short. 

As you all know, B and I had a few holidays within this holiday.  After spending a few days in Abbotsford, we flew up to Calgary and from there our road trip through The Rockies in our convertible began.  We stayed in Banff for 3 nights, Jasper 4 nights and then headed back to Banff for an overnight stay before flying up to Winnipeg to visit friends. 

Because hiking wasn't on my itinerary we did most of our wildlife scouting by car.  We think this was a good choice due to the number of animals we saw: bears (and cubs), elk, mountain sheep, mountain goats, squirrels, chipmunks, you-name-it.  The wildlife is always my favorite but the scenery was also second-to-none.  The drive between Banff and Jasper is one of the worlds best and when you get there, it's obvious why.  Around every corner another majestic mountain awaits. 

The lakes in The Rockies are all a stunning turquoise blue, due to the sediment being crushed below.  We visited Lake Louise, Lake Morraine, Lake Maligne and the Valley of the Five Lakes, Jasper.  I was feeling very blessed to be Canadian!

No comments: