
I have been seriously contemplating finding myself a new career. Why? Because after 12 years of drafting I've concluded that sitting in front of a box all day moving a mouse around isn't a rewarding way to spend 37+ hours a week. It's especially not joyous when you add stress, overtime and cynicism to the mix.
Perhaps those 8+ hours a day could be spent in a much more fruitful way? Say by helping someone in need or putting a smile on someone's face. It's hard to feel like you're making a difference when at the end of the day all I can say is 'wow, I really did a great job on that fire stair'. Who cares.
'They' say that most people have at least three careers in their lifetime but so far I've only had one. Perhaps it's time to get a start on #2.
A few ideas that B, H and I have come up with are:
- Florist
- Artist
- Café/Shop owner
- Events management
- Real estate agent
- Travel agent
- Writer/journalist
- Fashion designer
- Own my own interior design business
- Teach English overseas
- Photographer
- Ballerina (it might be too late for this one!)
- Graphic Designer
- Farmer
- Olympian (maybe I'm a great javelin thrower and I just don't know it!)
- Social Worker
I am considering the ladder though this would involve going back to school to get a BSW and volunteering or doing some community work. This might not be such a bad idea! What do you think?
3 comments:
You can do anything you set your mind to. You know this. Although, Nana Jo may be right - it just might be a tad too late to become a ballerina. But, don't let that stop you if that's what you really want. :)
I told you I was going to look up how to do this, and this is what I found... check it out!
http://www.flower-arrangement-advisor.com/become-a-florist.html
This one's good, too!
http://www.ehow.com/how_2060731_become-florist.html
Hi Kat, I don't want to dissuade you from something you are excited about, but it's important you think about the state of the system in which you will be working. Now is a really volatile time in health care. Health Authorities here are being restructured and programs and budgets are being cut. There have been quite a few social workers in Vancouver laid off recently and stuck trying to find work. Before you decide to go into it, talk to some social workers and find out what exactly they do in a day. It's far from being low stress and requires a lot of empathy and compassion to do the job well. If you believe you can do it, then you go girl!
Post a Comment