I'll try not to rant, but from what I've seen and read, obesity seems to have a very strong link to the sugar/high-fructose corn syrup industry. Saturated fat has always been to blame, but then, with all the low-fat products and diets out there, why is the obesity rate still rising? And WHY are children getting Type II Diabetes? It's frightening.
This morning I had my first sugar-free breakfast in a long time. I made this muesli which is 100% sugar-free and it was pretty tasty actually. I recently discovered that my favorite breakfast contained 35% sugar (oops)! It was low-fat vanilla yoghurt and a muesli full of nuts, dried fruit and seeds - and here I thought I was eating healthy!
This morning I had my first sugar-free breakfast in a long time. I made this muesli which is 100% sugar-free and it was pretty tasty actually. I recently discovered that my favorite breakfast contained 35% sugar (oops)! It was low-fat vanilla yoghurt and a muesli full of nuts, dried fruit and seeds - and here I thought I was eating healthy!
After reading this book, and this book, and THIS book, and watching all three series of this show I rummaged through my cupboards just to see how much sugar (fructose) was in everything we eat and it really is in almost everything! Crackers, peanut butter, cereal, raisins....
I think, now that I've figured out my new breakfast, I shouldn't have TOO hard of a time doing this. I've stopped drinking pop (there are 9.5 teaspoons of sugar in ONE can of coke!), juice (even more sugar than pop!) and sugary drinks and I've also stopped eating low-fat products (low-fat generally means way more sugar). So, it's an all fat (bacon, nuts, cheese, milk, coffee, coconut, butter, eggs...) and sugar-free "diet" for me.
Next is trying to limit the amount of sugar my kids are eating. Eek! I'll let you know how I go!
Next is trying to limit the amount of sugar my kids are eating. Eek! I'll let you know how I go!

1 comment:
that is a hard one! Good for you for giving it a go! It's so sneakily added to so many things that you wouldn't even think its in. I've switched a lot of my baking sugar to Palm sugar which is supposedly more healthy and is low on the glycemic index. The boys don't even notice it in their muffins. Crazy what the industry can get away with just to make a buck or two billion.
Post a Comment