I had my first weekend away from the babies to travel to the city to play in the Australian 9-ball Open. I haven't played a women's 9-ball competition since I left Canada so I was very excited to get to play.
Day one, Saturday, was a round robin format. We were divided into two groups of seven and played everyone in our group a race to five. It was a long day - I played, and sat waiting, from 11am to 10:30pm. In the end I only lost one match (to the reigning champ) and finished second in my group.
Day two was a different story. It was single knock-out (you lose once, you're out!) and there were 8/14 of us left.
I put my game-face on and played really well in my first match, winning 7-2 - on to the semi-finals (already!). It was here I met the reigning six-time winner, LH. I think most of the girls in the competition expect to lose to her, but I've been wanting to play her for a long while now - I couldn't wait! In my opinion, anyone who misses in pool is beatable. She misses.
I played really well against LH and kept my poker-face on throughout the entire set. At one point I ran three tables in a row (while she sat and watched) and it was then that I think she started getting rattled. I don't think LH is too used to getting beaten in Australia but I was happy to do it. In the end I beat her 8-5 and loved every minute of it. I got a lot of low-fives and quiet smirks from the other girls, I think they were secretly thrilled that she didn't get to take the title this time.
I didn't play great in the final but I ended up winning the match 9-6. It was filmed and broadcast live so B and some friends were able to watch it which was pretty cool! I imagine they'll be re-posting the video which you'll be able to find here.

2 comments:
Way to go! You obviously haven't lost your touch. I'm one of your biggest FANS!
Way to go! You obviously haven't lost your touch. I'm one of your biggest FANS!
Post a Comment