As you've read, this year I have certainly tried to become more self-aware about food and where it comes from. Not only is it healthier, but I feel much better about myself when I make the effort. I also appreciate the fact that I'm able to do it as I realize eating organically costs more, though I think in the end it's worth the price.
I am starting to really loathe McDonalds and any fast-food chain for that matter. They cause so much more harm than good, like cigarettes and alcohol, yet eating it is widely accepted. The reason I don't eat it because I don't know what it IS, nor do I want to support the food industry it's created.
This weekend B & I spent Saturday morning at our local farmers market. The produce is seasonal and as fresh as it can get, and supporting our local farmers always puts me in a good mood. My garden has new basil and mint seedlings and our fridge and cupboards are stocked with fresh locally grown carrots, celery, oranges, lemons, apples, mushrooms, parsley, strawberries, olive oil, and fresh sugar-free apple juice among other things. I don't think a glass of OJ can get any better squeezed straight from a pesticide-free orange.
Yesterday I cooked up some pancakes with organic milk, flour and eggs and served it with local strawberries. For lunch we had organic chickpeas with veggies from the market. Delicious! My scraps went to my worms.
There's nothing like knowing what you're eating!

No comments:
Post a Comment