Wednesday, August 5, 2009

My Summer Holiday - Part I: L.A.


B and I arrived in the Northern Hemisphere July 12th, after a bit of a frightening flight from Auckland; 4 hours out of L.A. our plane diverted to Honolulu due to flooding on the upper deck of the plane - eek! This obviously put us behind schedule so we missed our connecting flight to New York.

Due to an entire flight of people being misplaced, our best option was to get on a flight in the morning and stay a night, on Qantas, at the Hilton. At the hotel we found out we were only a half hour bus trip to Santa Monica Pier and Venice Beach! The cost to get there, $0.75 (and I didn't think you could get anything under a dollar anymore).

We made our way to the pier and it was packed with people. We watched an incredible break dancer spin his way into making a few dollars, walked the pier and along the beach, dipped our toes in the Pacific and wandered through the crazies at Venice Beach - a good people watching spot to say the least!

We made it back to the hotel in one piece - I wouldn't say L.A. is a place that either of us felt particularly comfortable in, but nonetheless, our short time there was enjoyable!

No comments: