It was 31 degrees at 8:30 this morning as I made my way to work. I started my new job January 8, this past Monday morning. It's Thursday today and I'm four days in. So far, so good.
My new office is in Carlton. Carlton is one of the suburbs neighboring mine. As I once used to commute an hour each direction in traffic to get to work, this is a dream. There are now numerous ways I can journey to the office. I can take the tram to Elgin Street and hop on a bus from there. I can walk. I can ride my bike. Walking down the lavishly treed Rathdowne Street, my route takes an hour. I never thought I'd love commuting.
In Carlton, Lygon Street is Melbournes Italian mecca. My office building is situated at one end of this street. Italian restaurants and gelato shops sit side-by-side for blocks. There are so many in fact, the owners are forced to compete with each other by trying to coax passers-by to come in. It is rumoured that this was started by one very enthusiastic owner and caused a domino effect. As a tourist this is charming. As a local, and someone who walks down this street every day, this is irritating. "Ah bella, you hungry?" Leering eyes following me. I will endure.
I was delighted to discover an espresso machine in the kitchen at the office. Though the coffee it produces isn't even close to being as good as any creamy, store-bought, latte, it will do (and will also save me $3 a day). One more tick in the good books for the new job!
1 comment:
Hi! It's Jill. So cool to see you have a blog. :)
Post a Comment