Tuesday, January 2, 2007

2007 - The Year the Rabbit gets Healthy


Like 99% of the population, I've decided 2007 is my year to become a model of perfect health. I plan to 1) slow down on the drinking (quitting? out of the question in this country!), 2) ride my bike to work, 3) do yoga twice a week, 4) eat more fruits and veg. Possible? Undoubtedly so.

At about 2pm today I decided to take my bike out for a leisurely ride down Merri Creek.

Merri Creek meanders through the northern suburbs of Melbourne connecting with the Yarra River near Abbotsford. An entrance is conveniently situated behind my apartment block. I packed my backpack, tied my hair back, grabbed my helmet and off I went. Merrily to Merri Creek.

Two and a half hours later I was having some difficulty. Where did I enter the park? The grass, creeks and paved pathways all started to look the same. It was 30 degrees today. My legs started burning. Exhaustion was setting in. I forgot water.

Getting lost is one of my not-so-favorite pastimes.

I decided it might be best to get off the track. By the looks of what was around me, I wasn't heading anywhere I wanted to go anyway. I figured finding the closest street would help me find my bearings.

Thankfully I eventually rode past a milk bar. I excused the conversation between the toothless, flirting, female customer and asked the man behind the counter if HE knew where I was. It turns out I was in suburbia hell. The closest main road, Sydney Rd (familiar, yes!), but I was in Falkner (never heard of it). It was north of anywhere I wanted to be.

One hour, three bottles of water, one latte and one fruit salad (emergency stop) later I was home. I'm tired and sunburnt. This is not a good start to 2007.

No comments: